Wednesday 2 March 2011

My Top Ten Favourite Books - Part 1

I think that to get into the swing of things I'll post about some of the things that are important to me. Books fall very heavily into that category, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm going to try my hardest to only get one per author in the list. So, here are my top ten favourite books:

10. The Novice by Trudi Canavan
So coming in at tenth, which isn't that bad a position considering how much I read, is the second book out of the Black Magician trilogy. Not quite sure why this one in particular is my favourite. It may be because it's half way between the main character's growth from street urchin to magician, or it may be because it is a suitably arbitrary mark for me to say that I love the trilogy - which I do! (Oh, not to mention the prequel The Magician's Apprentice and the newer trilogy, beginning with The Ambassador's Mission.)

9. The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel
At ninth is, again, the second book of a series. This time the Earth's Children series, an alternate history set in the stone age. I can place my finger on the reason that I prefer this out of all of the others in the series: reading about how Ayla survives after her exile is epic. Jondalar is an interesting character too, and his journey towards Ayla is a very interesting addition to the series.

8. Sabriel by Garth Nix
In eighth is the first in a trilogy by Garth Nix, an Aussie writer who writes mainly Young Adult fantasy. Sabriel was one of my first forays into Fantasy and I can say that it kept me hooked from start to finish, many times over. I loved the concept especially, necromancers are usually the bad guys!

7. Courageous: The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell
At seventh is the third book in a series about a space fleet stuck deep in enemy territory and their titanic struggle to return to home. All three books, that I've read so far, are excellent science fiction. It helps that I love spaceships and any kind of space pilot/fleet story.

6. The Sentinel Mage by Emily Gee
The last entry for part one, The Sentinel Mage is a book from, for me, a new author and I must say she has captured my interest quite avidly. I will be going to find Thief With No Shadow, I will devour it like I did this one. The multiple characters enmesh quite easily, with Jaumé playing an, at first, strange role in the narrative -- but that puzzle piece falls into place at the end of the novel.

The second part with books one to five will be up tomorrow, along with an explanation as to why I read what I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment