Monday 17 October 2011

Engage with conflict sooner rather than later...

I had a problem with my work in progress novel last week. I didn't know how I would get from the beginning to the end. I have the two figured out. I know what I want to happen. It just didn't bridge after a certain point.

A friend of mine offered his services as a wall for my idea bouncing session - oh alright, so there wasn't much free will involved...

Either way, he brought up a very good point to contest one of my own.

I had said: "Novels, these days, are either stand-alone, trilogies or four-plus multiple volume deals."
Because, I was worried that everything I want to write about wouldn't fit into a single novel without becoming too unwieldy.

He replied with: "Well, either remove the huge war you have planned, condense it, or make it happen sooner."
Of course, he was right... I had to edit the plot - obviously. The events for the middle haven't changed in a year. This is ridiculous!

So, changes were made and steps were taken to ensure that clichéd horror would not occur. Mainly about the gender of characters.

My plotting sucks. I shall have to improve. I am on the way, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment