Tuesday 19 July 2011

Four posts and an introduction...

So, I'm having a great time over on The Meandering Story, up to the fourth post that furthers the narrative... and it's reached one of the points where I feel that I don't want to write about, because it wouldn't make for great reading, and so I just skip it and jump forward by so many years. I can always come back to it later.

Writing in first person is actually quite a new experience for me, and so is writing in my own voice. I have written in third person limited for almost every story, because I thought that first person was too limiting... but having read some great novels in first person (the latest being Wuthering Heights) I've decided that it is the way to go, especially for particular genres.

The way that in first person, you can play with the narration so easily is enticing, I must say. It's like sliding a piece of coloured paper over a spot light, tinting the resulting light in another shade; being able to represent characters, situations and places through one character's eyes is a great tool to have at your disposal. In third person this is, as far as I can make my tired mind think, impossible to do.

Okay, time to sleep.

Hasta lugeo, amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment